Sunday, November 25, 2007

Fwd: unusual type of breast cancer..info..

From: Cecelia Littlepage
To: Cecelia Littlepage
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2007 3:55 PM 
Subject: Fwd: unusual type of breast cancer..info..


   This is an email I received about something we women should be aware of.
I checked the info to verify its accuracy, and here's a site I found with 
very good info on Paget's Disease:
http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/Cancertype/Breast/Typesofbreastcancer/Pagetsdisease 


Cece(lia)

 Paget's Disease
 This is a rare form of breast cancer, and is on the outside of the breast,
on the nipple and aureole. In my case, it appeared as a rash, which later
became a lesion with a crusty outer edge. I would never have suspected it to 
be breast cancer, but it was. My nipple never seemed any different to me,
but the rash bothered me- sometimes it itched and was sore, but mostly was
just ugly and a nuisance- so I went to the doctor for that. It could not be 
cleared up with all the creams prescribed by my doctor and dermatologist,
and they seemed a little concerned, but did not warn me it could be
cancerous.


 Now, I suspect that not many women out there know a lesion or rash on the 
nipple or aureole can be breast cancer- mine started out as a single red
pimple on the aureole. One of the biggest problems with Paget's disease of
the nipple is that the symptoms appear to be harmless. It is frequently 
thought to be a skin inflammation or infection, leading to unfortunate
delays in detection and care.



 What are the symptoms?
 1. A persistent redness, oozing, and crusting of your nipple causing it to 
itch and burn. As I stated, mine did not itch or burn much, and had no
oozing I was aware of, but it did have a crust along the outer edge on one
side.
 2. A sore on your nipple that will not heal. (mine was on the aureole with 
a whitish thick looking area in center of my nipple).
 3. Usually only one nipple is affected.


 How is it diagnosed?
 Your doctor will do a physical exam, and will order a mammogram of both
breasts. Even though the redness, oozing and crusting closely resemble 
dermatitis (inflammation of the skin), your doctor needs to rule out cancer,
especially if the sore is only on one breast. A biopsy of your sore is
needed to confirm what is going on.


 Please take this message seriously and pass it on to as many of your 
relatives and friends as possible; it could save someone's life. If mine had
been diagnosed as breast cancer in the beginning, perhaps it would not have
spread.

No comments: